Most of us knows what goes in a taco, burrito, etc: rice, beans, meat, cheese, lettuce, sour cream, maybe some guacamole, salsa. We all like chips and salsa. Everybody’s crazy for avocados. So have you considered Mexican food when looking at catering options? Past the Taco Bells, beyond the Chipotles, there are almost 40,000 Mexican restaurants in the United States alone. A staggering one out of every ten restaurants in the U.S. serves Mexican food, making it one of the most popular and beloved styles of cuisine in the country. In fact, many Mexican places provide catering options that almost anyone would love.
So why choose a local Mexican restaurant when looking at catering options?
- You’re probably more familiar with the cuisine than you realize! Studies have shown that over 70% of Americans already use ingredients commonly found in Mexican food in their everyday cooking.
- It’s fun to try something a little different than what you’re used to. After all, variety is the spice of life! In fact, over half of consumers are looking for new and exciting flavors in exotic cuisines, as well unfamiliar foods.
- It’s become hugely popular – and if so many people like it, it’s got to be good! Salsa has become the number one condiment, surpassing the traditionally American condiments, ketchup and mayo. Tortillas have also risen in popularity, outselling hot dog buns since 2010.
- Mexican food has become integrated with other cuisines. Take Tex-Mex for example, a popular cuisine that contains a fusion of the two cultures.
- There’s lots of variety. Mexican cuisine offers nearly endless opportunities. For instance, moles, or sauces, have seven traditional varieties, from chocolate (black/negro) to amarillo. No sweat if burritos aren’t your thing (though if they are, you’re in luck, as nearly 70,000 U.S. restaurants list a burrito as a menu item).
- It’s steeped in history and has showed staying power. Tortillas have been used since ancient Aztec times and much of Mexican cuisine is also believed to have been derived from the Mayans, over a whopping 2,000 years ago.
The next time you have a big event to cater, be it a wedding, a bar mitvah, a birthday party, or even just a business meeting, think about your catering options and Mexican food. Mexican food provides immense diversity, great bold flavors, and has risen to be an American favorite. You might even say that Mexican food is as American as apple pie.