Opening your very own restaurant or cafe might be a lifelong dream of yours. Providing delicious treats and beverages in a comforting and welcoming environment can be an extremely satisfying career goal. If you’re interested in learning how to start a cafe in California, there are a few facets of the business you must first become familiar with before you can start offering goods and drinks to your own patrons. Once you understand the basics of how to start a cafe in California, you can move forward with securing the funding and insurance to open your business to the public.
Find the Right Property
When you want to learn how to start a cafe in California, you will first need to take a deep dive into the world of commercial properties. Investing in a commercial property in the State of California is not always cheap based on the location you choose for your business. It is highly advisable to become familiar with various regions throughout the state of California so you know which areas are best for a new cafe. Research local competitors, income levels, as well as the current economy in various areas throughout California to find a commercial property that is right for you and that works well with your budget.
Learn About Food Safety
If you are in the process of researching how to start a cafe in California, you will also need to learn about food safety. Food safety is a top priority for anyone owning or operating an eating establishment of any kind. Whether you choose to open a cafe that strictly sells prepackaged foods and handcrafted drinks or if you are offering homecooked meals, food safety is imperative.
When it comes to understanding food safety, it is more than just using proper gear and equipment when working in a commercial kitchen. Food safety involves understanding potential toxins, airborne illnesses, and food allergies that patrons may have when visiting your cafe. Having a well-rounded understanding of food safety will go a long way, especially when it comes to maintaining a positive standing with the local health department in your city.
Repair Your Gutter System
Maintaining the gutters surrounding your cafe’s commercial property is extremely important, especially if you offer seating for guests outside of your cafe. Because cafes typically offer both indoor and outdoor seating, keeping your gutters clean and clear at all times is a must. As seasons change, gutters can quickly become clogged and backed up with leaves and other surrounding debris. Working with professionals who specialize in cleaning and repairing commercial gutters is highly recommended. Keeping your gutters clean and clear will also help to prevent water from pooling on top of your building or in various areas around your roof.
Update Your Bathrooms
Whenever you are running a commercial business, such as a cafe, it’s important to provide a warm, comforting, and welcoming environment for patrons. This is also important even when they are using your cafe’s facilities, such as the bathrooms. Updating the bathrooms in your new cafe is a great way to help customers feel at home when they are dining in. Leaving your bathrooms outdated may cause patrons to feel uncomfortable, which may result in them finding an alternative establishment in the future. Some ways to update the bathrooms in your cafe might include:
- Invest in energy-efficient appliances: Using modern energy-efficient appliances such as air dryers and motion sensor sinks can help conserve water and electricity while providing modern conveniences for guests.
- Update the walls and floors: New flooring and paint or wallpaper can drastically change the atmosphere of any space, even small spaces such as bathrooms. Updating the walls and flooring throughout your cafe’s bathrooms can help bring a color scheme or theme you are going for together. It can also completely refresh the space, especially if the original bathrooms appear old and outdated when compared to modern decor trends.
- Add artwork and relevant decor: One way to help your cafe stand out from the rest is to incorporate relevant decor and artwork that matches the rest of your cafe. Using artwork and quirky decor inside of your bathrooms will also help to provide your guests with a unique experience. If you have the space available, consider adding benches or other forms of seating to provide your patrons with another area to rest while they are dining in your establishment.
Offer Live Music
Anyone who wants to learn how to start a cafe in California should become familiar with the music scene that is available in their preferred cafe location(s). California is known for plenty of live music events and events that promote a wide range of artists. One way to draw attention to the opening of your cafe in California is to consider offering a live music event or concert. Working with a local professional piano mover, you can rent a piano for those who are performing along with many other instruments that may be available in the area.
Offering live music is not only a great way to bring members of the community together, but it is also a way to promote the launch and opening of your cafe to those near you. Using events with live music can help generate sales and spread the word about your cafe’s offerings.
Renovate Your Plumbing
In order to keep your business up and running for years to come, you will need to maintain your plumbing at all times. Maintaining the plumbing in a commercial space, such as a cafe, is not only essential to prevent inconveniences, but it is also imperative for health and safety reasons. A clog, backup, or flood due to poor plumbing maintenance can lead to the closure of your cafe for weeks, if not indefinitely. The importance of maintaining your cafe’s plumbing system cannot be underestimated.
Once you find a location for your cafe in California, it’s highly advisable to begin working with commercial professional plumbers immediately. Working with plumbers who specialize in commercial properties is key. Commercial plumbers understand regulations and requirements that may be in place for specific plumbing installations and repairs in your California city or zip code. When working with commercial plumbing providers, inquire about your options and the current condition of the plumbing throughout your cafe. This will help you to learn more about your options and the type of plumbing solutions that are optimal to minimize potential risks in the near future. Working alongside commercial plumbers is a way to maintain peace of mind while knowing that your cafe’s plumbing has been properly inspected, repaired, and renovated.
Prepare Your Finances
Managing the accounting of your business is one of the most important aspects of operating a successful cafe, especially when you are responsible for employees and fresh ingredients daily. While you are learning how to start a cafe in California, begin your research by seeking out a commercial accountant. A commercial accountant can help guide you through the process of applying for loans and financing while simultaneously managing the finances of your cafe itself. If you are thinking of opening a cafe in California, keep the following in mind:
- Funding: How will you be funding your cafe? Will you be applying for a loan or will you be seeking financial support from an alternative source, such as crowdfunding or angel investing?
- Property expenses: In addition to investing in a building for your cafe, you will also need to consider additional property expenses. Monthly rent payments, staff, inventory, and utilities must all be taken into consideration. It’s also important to research the specific location in which you intend to operate. Throughout California, there may be additional licensing and/or fees necessary before you can open your cafe to the public.
- Licensing and health safety certifications: Ensuring your cafe is up to standards when it comes to health and safety is key. If you do not pass a health inspection, it is not legal to operate in the State of California. Obtaining any necessary licensing and health and safety certifications is essential before you can begin serving food and drinks to patrons.
- Employees: In order to manage your cafe, you will likely need to employ staff. In order to do so, keep payroll expenses, taxes, and insurance in mind along with the salaries you intend to pay. You will need to calculate this before you begin the hiring process to determine how many staff you can afford.
- Taxes: Consider the current tax code where you intend to operate in California. You can work alongside your commercial accountant to determine the best methods of handling the fees and taxes involved in running your cafe.
Keep Pests Away
Any eatery or dining establishment should be clean and free from pests at all times, without exception. Not only are pests extremely unsightly and will immediately turn patrons away, but they also pose a significant health risk to customers. When investing in a commercial space with a pest issue, calling on pest or cockroach control specialists is highly advisable before opening your doors to the general public. Working with pest control companies that offer cockroach solutions can provide you with both preventative treatments as well as active solutions if you have a pest infestation already. If pests are spotted while patrons are dining at your cafe, you run the risk of:
- Having your establishment reported: You may receive a report from the local health department if a customer spots any type of pest on the premises of your cafe. This can lead to a complete inspection or even a downgrade to your current health rating.
- Receiving bad reviews: When an unsightly pest is spotted at a cafe, customers are more likely to leave negative reviews. Negative reviews on search engines and even on various social media platforms can have a detrimental impact on your business. If recent reviews are negative or highlight a pest problem in your cafe, new prospective customers are more likely to look elsewhere for somewhere to eat and drink.
Maintain Your Roof
Anyone who is interested in learning how to start a cafe in California should also become familiar with the ongoing maintenance that is necessary for all commercial investments, including roofing. When it comes to maintaining the roof of any cafe in California, it is best to turn to the pros. Professionals who specialize in commercial roofing have an in-depth understanding of various types of commercial roofing solutions available, materials that are ideal for specific building types, and even budget-friendly options.
If you are living in California and looking to invest in a cafe of your own, be sure to do so only after having the entire property inspected, including its roof. Maintaining the roof of any commercial property, including a cafe, is essential and requires ongoing efforts. Neglecting a roof can lead to the sinking of the roof, leaks, and long-term damage that requires a complete replacement. Because commercial roofs are not cheap, it is important to have a commercial property’s roof inspected before finalizing the purchase of a property.
Get Business Technology
Investing in business technology computer services is key when learning how to start a cafe in California. Even if you want to manage your cafe manually, the process of doing so can easily take on an entire job of its own, requiring additional employees or software investments. Using computer services and business technology to manage your cafe is one of the best ways to streamline your management process and overall workflow. Utilizing business technology will help you to expedite the process of managing inventory, placing orders, and even handling the accounting necessary to keep your cafe up and running. From using online accounting solutions and management applications to fully-integrated inventory trackers, business technology can significantly improve the way you conduct business, regardless of the size of your California cafe.
Learning how to start a cafe in California does not require an extensive college education or a degree in economics. However, taking the time to better understand the ins and outs of cafe operations in the State of California will help you to feel better prepared for any tasks you are presented with throughout your journey. The more familiar you are with how to start a cafe in California, the less likely you are to encounter setbacks and limitations once you are open for business.